Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia. Pontevedra. Spain : Stock Photo
Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia. Pontevedra. Spain : Stock Photo

Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia. Pontevedra. Spain

Creative #: 142006025
Construction of the Santa María de Oia Monastery, the municipality's main monument, began in the mid-12th century, during the reign of Galician King Alfonso VII. Within its walls gathered monks who previously lived in various parts of the region. In 1185 it joined the Cistercian Order. It has Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque elements, resulting from the different reforms and modifications carried out until the late 18th century. The church has three naves laid out in a Latin Cross design. The choir is 17th century, and the facade is in late-18th century Baroque style.Thanks to its strategic location (right beside the sea), Santa María de Oia played an important role in defending the coast. In 1624 the monks managed to thwart an attack by the Turkish fleet, for which Philip IV granted the monastery the right to use 'Royal' in its name. Following the 1835 Disentailment Act it passed into private hands, although the church serves as parish church.

Details
License type: Rights-managedRights-managed products are licensed with restrictions on usage, such as limitations on size, placement, duration of use and geographic distribution. You will be asked to submit information concerning your intended use of the product, which will determine the scope of usage rights granted.
Collection: The Image Bank
Max file size: 4,200 x 4,199 px (14.00 x 14.00 in) - 300 dpi - 17 MB
Release info: No release required

Similar imagesSearch ResultsSame series
Monastery Of Santa Maria De Oia Pontevedra Spain Stock PhotoArchitecture,Building Exterior,Cloud - Sky,Color Image,Day,Galicia,History,Horizontal,Monastery,Mountain,No People,Outdoors,Photography,Pontevedra Province,Religion,Rock - Object,Sea,Sky,Spain,Spanish Culture,Travel,Travel Destinations,TreePhotographer Collection: The Image Bank 2012©Luis CastañedaConstruction of the Santa María de Oia Monastery, the municipality's main monument, began in the mid-12th century, during the reign of Galician King Alfonso VII. Within its walls gathered monks who previously lived in various parts of the region. In 1185 it joined the Cistercian Order. It has Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque elements, resulting from the different reforms and modifications carried out until the late 18th century. The church has three naves laid out in a Latin Cross design. The choir is 17th century, and the facade is in late-18th century Baroque style.Thanks to its strategic location (right beside the sea), Santa María de Oia played an important role in defending the coast. In 1624 the monks managed to thwart an attack by the Turkish fleet, for which Philip IV granted the monastery the right to use 'Royal' in its name. Following the 1835 Disentailment Act it passed into private hands, although the church serves as parish church.