Alcatraz Island prison cellhouse building : Stock Photo
Alcatraz Island prison cellhouse building : Stock Photo

Alcatraz Island prison cellhouse building

Credit: Geri Lavrov
Creative #: 186904704
The main prison cellhouse building was built in 1909-1912. During that time, it was a U.S. Army military prison; it was the site of a citadel from the 1860's. The U.S. Disciplinary Barracks, Pacific Branch on Alcatraz was acquired by the U.S. Department of Justice on October 12, 1933, and the island became a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison in August 1934, after the buildings were modernized to meet the requirements of a high security prison. Given this high security and the location of Alcatraz in the cold water and strong currents of San Francisco Bay, the prison operators believed Alcatraz to be inescapable. Alcatraz was designed to hold prisoners who continuously caused trouble at other federal prisons. It was transferred over to the U.S. National Park Service in 1972 and became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

Details
License type: Rights-managedRights-managed products are licensed with restrictions on usage, such as limitations on size, placement, duration of use and geographic distribution. You will be asked to submit information concerning your intended use of the product, which will determine the scope of usage rights granted.
Collection: Photolibrary
Max file size: 5,616 x 3,744 px (18.72 x 12.48 in) - 300 dpi - 15.4 MB
Release info: Not releasedNot released: This imagery has no model or property release. Any commercial use requires additional clearance from third parties.

Similar imagesSearch ResultsSame series
Alcatraz Island Prison Cellhouse Building Stock PhotoAlcatraz Island,Bay of Water,Blue,Building Exterior,California,Clear Sky,Color Image,Copy Space,Day,Environmental Conservation,Hill,Horizon Over Land,Horizontal,Law,No People,Outdoors,Photography,Prison,Punishment,Remote,Renewable Energy,San Francisco - California,San Francisco Bay,Separation,Solar Energy,Solar Panel,Sunny,USAPhotographer Collection: Photolibrary Geri LavrovThe main prison cellhouse building was built in 1909-1912. During that time, it was a U.S. Army military prison; it was the site of a citadel from the 1860's. The U.S. Disciplinary Barracks, Pacific Branch on Alcatraz was acquired by the U.S. Department of Justice on October 12, 1933, and the island became a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison in August 1934, after the buildings were modernized to meet the requirements of a high security prison. Given this high security and the location of Alcatraz in the cold water and strong currents of San Francisco Bay, the prison operators believed Alcatraz to be inescapable. Alcatraz was designed to hold prisoners who continuously caused trouble at other federal prisons. It was transferred over to the U.S. National Park Service in 1972 and became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.